Checklist of the Vital Needs of a French Bulldog
If you own a French bulldog or are planning to own one, then you need to understand what sets French Bulldogs apart from other dog breeds to ensure that you will have a happy French bulldog and a healthy one at that.
To some, a dog may just seem the same as the other one, they eat, they play, they sleep, and they leave a mess, could it get more complicated than that. Well, basically they do have the same needs, but there are still some distinct differences in every breed which can require some special attention. Sure they all need to exercise, but there are some differences as well.
In this article, I’ve included a vital list of the basic things that any French bulldog owner should know. This list will not only help you become a responsible owner but also help those that are thinking about buying a French bulldog to decide whether they are ready to own one today. Here is the list of those instructions in no particular order:
- A cool area in their home or in their garden – French bulldogs find heat as their waterloo. Because of their oddly shaped head, French bulldogs find it difficult to dispel heat. They also have trouble breathing when it’s too warm and when they are tired. Make sure that if you live in an area with a warm climate, an air-conditioned room should be available for them. Also, your garden should have areas where shades are available where they can lounge around in not too warm days. Providing your pet with a good shelter makes him feel important and valued.
- Have water accessible – Water will help them dispel heat. French bulldogs tend to overheat so they need to rehydrate often. Even with just a small-time spent exercising, they will soon become thirsty and panting, so have a water bowl ready inside and outside your home.
- Exercise your French bulldog – Unlike other dogs though, French bulldogs cannot be kept active for a prolonged period of time. They tire easily and need short breaks from time to time. Walking and exercising is necessary for strength development of the dog, so dog owners usually do it twice a day. This also helps them to dispel waste outside your home. Plus, prevent your French bulldog from overheating when walking him by doing your exercises at dawn and at night time where the sun can’t bet down hard on your pet.
- A well-balanced diet – Quality dog food should be the norm. A healthy diet will help keep your dog strong to ward off any health conditions. It will also keep your dog looking good with its coat shiny and vibrant.
- Respect your dog – treat it humanely and as part of the family. Provide it with the attention it needs and spend quality time with it. French bulldogs, in particular, need more human attention than other dogs. Try to spend also on dog products like chew toys and treats. A good collar will not only keep it nearby with a leash but also help it find its way home if it gets lost.
- And finally, keep some time and money for vet visits. Your vet is your best friend and ally in keeping your French bulldog healthy and happy.
The French Agenda are proud breeders of French Bulldogs. We serve local communities of South Florida: Miami, Hialeah, Fort Lauderdale, Port St. Lucie, Pembroke St. Lucie, Pembroke Pines, Hollywood, Miramar, Coral Springs, Miami Gardens, West Palm Beach, Pompano Beach, Davie, Miami Beach, Plantation, Sunrise, Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Boynton Beach, Lauderhill, Weston, Delray Beach, Homestead, North Miami, Jupiter, Margate, Coconut Creek.